Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Impressive Kids Rules

I recently found this posted in the basement of our house. Obviously, the work of my 7-year-old daughter, although when I initially asked her about it, she didn't care to own up to it for some reason.

The first thing that strikes me about these rules is that they are clearly geared toward excluding my 5-year-old son from being an 'impressive kid'. He's the only person other than myself that wears masks and capes around the house and we're also the only ones that wield swords, for that matter. Since it specifically identifies in the title that these are rules for 'kids', it doesn't apply to me. So sadly, these appear to be guidelines that my daughter has developed for my son should he want to be an 'impressive kid'.

The second thing that's curious to me about these rules is Rule #3. I would think that should be Rule #1. The other stuff all seems pointless, if you're not going to 'be impressive', right?  I have to also say that in my book, this rule is overly simplified. I have absolutely no idea what constitutes being impressive. While this set of rules does a fairly good job of pointing out the things that you should not do or wear, it leaves me wondering what exactly needs to be done to 'be impressive!'? 

To get to the bottom of this, I again asked my daughter if she knew anything about these rules and specifically if she knew what was involved with being impressive.  As it turns out, she did know and it's actually quite simple.  According to her, you just need to "do things that are impossible for most people to do."  I'm glad we got this cleared up.


1 comment:

Randy said...

*wiggling my hips*
Impre-EH-sive!